Transfers & Exchanges


If you find yourself having doubts about your course of study or even your choice of university, it is important that you address the issue without delay. You might find it helpful to speak to a careers adviser or the Advice Hub at Strathclyde Students’ Union, for impartial advice and guidance about your options to help you decide your next steps. 

It’s really important to look into the course that you want to transfer to, so please take a look at details of our current courses and make sure you meet the entry requirements for the course. You should aim to gather as much information as you can about other courses you are interested in by referring to course webpages and handbooks.  

Some changes may not be possible due to professional body or other external regulations so it is always best to take advice on what is available to you and any implications in respect of your specific circumstances

Please note that the majority of transfer decisions will depend on degree examination performance and will not be finalised until after the August diet of examinations.


An application form can be downloaded or collected from Student Business (ground floor, McCance building). This form should be completed and given to the new department for approval and then submitted to Student Business for processing. Student Business will then send you an email confirming the change of course.  Faculty of HASS transfer requests require a further approval by the Faculty but this process will be undertaken by Student Business and you will be informed of the outcome.




There are a number of exchange schemes in which the University is involved. If you are interested in taking part in an exchange you should contact Recruitment & International Office , Level 4, Graham Hills Building. Exchanges to other parts of the world do take place and are usually arranged at departmental level. You should contact your department for further information. All exchanges have to be considered by the relevant Board of Study and usually involve approval of a curriculum to be studied at the other institution. If approval is given you must still make arrangements for the SAAS or LEA to pay your tuition fees during the period of your exchange.