The Department of Architecture is part of one of the largest and highest ranking faculties of engineering in the UK
Our close links with the city’s creative design, construction, and engineering industries enhance students’ career prospects by providing opportunities to network and engage with professional practitioners, researchers and clients.
The need to address the challenges of climate change through innovation in design and construction will lead to substantial opportunities for graduates and researchers in the coming years, continuing the drive towards zero carbon and healthy buildings.
Study with us
We have a range of courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level along with a number of research opportunities. For those already in the architecture profession we have continuing professional development courses and lectures for you to keep up-to-date with industry.
We've a number of different facilities and equipment including:
- Two design studios; one is a drop-in studio where you can be part of our collaborative and creative studio community, the other is dedicated to design teaching
- Our own reference library, in addition to the main University library
- A workshop for traditional modelmaking, equipped with a full range of hand and portable power tools, available under supervision
We're leading the way to a more sustainable future in response to government, industry and societal needs and are at the forefront of research on how people and cities interact in a rapidly urbanising world.
- Find out more about our research themes and groups
- Read about the impact of our research
- Take a look at our Excellence and Awards and Our Blog
We have a reputation for encouraging responsible and effective design practice with an awareness of social, technological and environmental impacts.
Prof Lori McElroy and Dr Gráinne McGill have been appointed under the Strathclyde Global Talent Programme to help make the future vision of the University of Strathclyde into a reality. Lori's area of strategic priority is smart and resilient built environments and cities. Gráinne's area of strategic priority is indoor environmental quality and health in buildings.
We're extremely proud of all the work our students produce throughout their time with us. Please take a look at our online exhibition in our Showcase 2021 and have a look at some of our Excellence and Awards.