Green hydrogen is a transformative energy vector revolutionizing the global energy landscape. Produced through water electrolysis using renewable energy sources, green hydrogen is a clean and sustainable alternative to fossil fuels.
Its versatility is its strength: it can be used in a wide array of applications, from powering vehicles to industrial processes, offering a viable path to decarbonize sectors that have proven challenging to transition to renewable energy. It promises to reduce our carbon footprint whilst reshaping our energy infrastructure, creating green jobs, and paving the way for a cleaner, more sustainable future.
Strathclyde Incubator for Green Hydrogen Technologies (SigH2t) provides a space in the Department of Chemical and Process Engineering where academics from the University of Strathclyde and beyond can develop and test new innovations, accelerating their route to market.
State-of-the-art synthesis facilities, high-throughput characterisation suites, and rapid prototyping capabilities will provide a pipeline to higher technology readiness levels, feeding into other facilities such as the Power Networks Demonstration Centre (PNDC), the National Manufacturing Institute of Scotland (NMIS), the Hydrogen Accelerator, or enabling industry collaboration.
Our Projects Include:
- Innovative catalysts for polymer electrolyte fuel cells and electrolysers
- Sustainable membranes for electrochemical applications
- Novel materials for highly efficient solid oxide and fuel cell and electrolyser designs
- Low-cost green hydrogen generation integrated with carbon capture and utilisation
- Earth-abundant materials for photoelectrochemical hydrogen production
- Photocatalysis combined with Fischer-Tropsch processes for sustainable aviation fuels;
- Alternative feedstock exploitation such as waste biomass, seawater and biogas;
- Materials for hydrogen storage and processes for conversion into chemical feedstocks;
- Scalable REDOX flow battery and hybrid / reversible fuel cell technologies;
- Advanced diagnostic tools for manufacturing quality, operando defect detection, durability testing, and device lifecycle analysis.
Pressure reactors, fume hoods, wet-lab space, ovens, furnaces, chemical storage, hot plates, rotary evaporation, planetary ball milling, centrifuge, sonication
Microscopy, X-ray diffraction (XRD), X-ray fluorescence (XRF), nitrogen/carbon dioxide gas adsorption analysis, thermogravimetric analysis, rheometric analysis, membrane test systems, Raman spectroscopy, contact angle measurements, cyclic voltammetry, rotating ring disk voltammetery, temperature programmed reduction/oxidation, adsorption analysers, etc
Homogeniser, catalyst deposition, electrode manufacture, spray coater, membrane caster, 3D printer, machining workshop, hot presses, sintering furnaces.
Fuel cell test station, electrolyser test station, REDOX flow test station, impedance analysers, and cell holders.
Access to ARCHIE Supercomputer, COMSOL modelling package, density functional theory (DFT) know-how, molecular dynamics experts.
News and Events
Please check back soon
Contact Strathclyde Incubator for Green Hydrogen Technologies (SigH2t)
We regularly host visits from industry, academia and government. To arrange a tour of our facilities, please contact us, and our business development team will be in touch.