AdmissionsConfirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

What is a CAS?

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic document that generates a reference number that is required in order to apply for a study visa. Your CAS will detail information regarding your course of study and some of your personal details. A CAS number confirms to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that we wish to sponsor your study in the UK.

New Applicants - When/how do I get a CAS?

If you have an offer for the University of Strathclyde, you must ensure you have accepted your offer and have satisfied all conditions except the administrative final check before your record will be checked for CAS Issuance. The conditions you must meet before getting to CAS issuance stage include:

  • Academic Qualifications
  • English Qualifications
  • Valid Passport
  • Deposit
  • Academic Progression (If you have previously studied in the UK)

If you're an International student applying to a postgraduate Taught or Research course, the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) may apply. Please see further information on ATAS.

For any queries regarding your CAS please contact

Once I have my CAS, what happens next?

Now that you have received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS), please ensure all of the information is correct.

If any details need to be amended, you should advise CAS admissions. Withhold submitting your student visa application until the amendments are complete.

If satisfied with the information, you are now able to start making a successful Student visa application. Find out what happens next.

Academic progression

Academic progression applies to anyone who has previously studied in the UK on a student (previously tier 4) visa and wishes to apply for a further student visa in the UK.

Applicants must demonstrate that their course represents progression from any previous course they have studied in the UK. This must be evidenced prior to CAS issuance.

Admissions may request further information on any previous UK study you have undertaken. A condition may be added to your application and you will be invited to complete an academic progression questionnaire or provide an academic progression statement.

Admissions will advise if you meet academic progression and are eligible to apply for your visa from within the UK. If you do not meet academic progression requirements, you may need to apply for your visa from overseas.

Please be aware if academic progression is not met the University will not be satisfied to tick off the requirement therefore no CAS will be issued.

For any queries relating to Academic progression, please email

Single CAS information

A single CAS will cover your main degree programme and Pre-sessional English programme. Single CAS can only be issued for English Language Teaching (ELT) courses of 12 weeks or less (Modules 1 to 3) and where applicants also meet the conditions below:

  • You hold a UKVI SELT – with Unique Reference Number (URN) at B1 or B2 dated within 2 years OR a Non UKVI SELT (no URN) at B2 (IELTS no score below 5.5 or equivalent) dated within the last 2 years
  • You have met all other conditions except English for your Degree course (including deposit) of if you applied to Module 3 only you will need to have met all other conditions of your Degree course including deposit and English condition

Further information on Pre-Sessional English course entry requirements.