SCELG Director at Xiamen Academy of International Law
SCELG Co-Director Prof Elisa Morgera was invited to contribute to the 2018 summer programme of the Xiamen Academy of International Law in China. She delivered a 10-hour course on BeneLex research findings at the intersection of international biodiversity and human rights law on 9-13 July 2018. The specialized course addressed the progressive development of international law on fair and equitable benefit-sharing in relation to:
- indigenous peoples’ human rights to natural resources;
- access to genetic resources and traditional knowledge for research and development purposes;
- deep-seabed mining and marine bio-prospecting in areas beyond national jurisdiction; and
- business responsibility to respect human rights.
Prof Morgera’s specialized course ran in parallel with a general course on the Cultural Dimensions of International Law delivered by Prof Francesco Francioni (BeneLex Advisor) and a specialized course on International Law and Human Health delivered by Gian Luca Burci, former Legal Counsel of the World Health Organizations.
Prof Morgera directs the LLM in Global Environmental Law and Governance, which also benefits from research findings from the BeneLex project. 2017/2018 LLM students are currently supporting research in collaboration with the BeneLex team on:
- climate finance;
- women’s rights to natural resources;
- the right to food; and
- children’s rights.
More information on SCELG’s work on biodiversity , human rights, corporate accountability and oceans is available on our website.