We have many areas of specialisation including:
- 20th and 21st-century popular culture
- Alasdair Gray Studies
- Victorian, Edwardian and Neo-Victorian
- Scottish studies
- Contemporary Scottish literature
- The contemporary novel
- The contemporary short story
- Gender and sexuality
- Race and postcolonial studies
- Animal studies
- Life writing and biography
- Periodical/newspaper culture
- Linguistic and cognitive literary studies
Recent research projects include: Scotland's Stories by Word and Screen, Piston, Pen & Press: Literary Cultures in the Industrial Workplace, Cross-Border Queers and Creative Interruptions.
Colleagues in English, Creative Writing and in Journalism work closely together and with colleagues in History and Languages, all of which are contained within the same Department of Humanities. Students are co-supervised across different subject areas within the School, as well as across the University and with English and History departments in other Scottish universities.