We are committed to achieving and promoting equality of opportunity in learning, teaching, research and working environments, and to ensuring these environments support positive relations between people, and a culture of respect. We value the diversity of our staff and students and are committed to encouraging everyone to realise their full potential.
We encourage all staff to participate in a range of equality and diversity courses.
Mathematics & Statistics Equality & Diversity Committee
We have an Equality and Diversity Committee which meets approximately three times a year. We work with the Head of Department to ensure equality of opportunity, fair policies and working practices that comply with the University’s equal opportunities policy, and to increase diversity among the demographic of the Department at all levels. We aim to achieve greater awareness of equality and diversity issues within the Department, and report each year to the Executive Committee and other departmental committees as appropriate. We also coordinate applications for national awards such as Athena SWAN, and review the development and implementation of action plans for implementing positive change which includes consideration of statistics relevant to our work both in relation to staff and students.
If you wish to learn more or would like to attend an Equality and Diversity Committee meeting, please contact the Chair: Dr Elizabeth Dombi
London Mathematical Society Good Practice Scheme
The London Mathematical Society Good Practice Scheme aims to advance women's careers in university mathematics departments. We are lucky to have an honorary member in our department, Senior Lecturer, Dr Penny Davies. As a supporter, the Mathematics & Statistics department is committed to:
- a robust organisational framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward;
- appointment, promotion and selection processes and procedures that encourage men and women to apply for academic posts at all levels;
- structures and systems that enable men and women to progress and continue in their careers;
- organisation, structure, management arrangements and culture that are open, inclusive and transparent and encourage the participation of all staff;
- flexible approaches and provisions that encompass the working day, the working year and a working life and enable individuals at all career and life stages, to maximise their contribution to mathematics, their department and institution.
The Piscopia Society is a UK-wide society run by students that aims to encourage women and non-binary students to pursue a PhD in mathematics or related STEM subject.
The society offers events to:
- raise awareness for the PhD option and increase attendees’ knowledge about doing a PhD and the application process
- showcase the work of female and non-binary mathematics researchers
- build a UK-wide community of female and non-binary researchers and mathematics students
Department Equality & Diversity Committee members
Dr Elizabeth Dombi (Chair)
Professor John Mackenzie (Head of Department)
Dr Penny Davies (Academic Director)
Dr Kate Pyper (Undergraduate Chief Selector)
Ann Lynch (Secretary)
Professor Adam Kleczkowski
Professor Apala Majumdar
Dr Neil Banas
Dr David Pritchard
Dr Sarah Barry
Dr Bingzhang Chen
Dr Francesca Arrigo
Dr Alex Wray
Dr Mohammud Foondun
Michael Brown (PhD student)
Minutes of previous meetings are published on SharePoint (log-in required, staff only)