We accept a number of English language tests as proof of proficiency in English. IELTS is the most widely available. Information on this can be found on the British Council Website.
Our current standard requirements are:
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5 overall (no individual band less than 5.5)
- Faculty of Science: IELTS (Academic): 6.0 overall (no individual band less than 5.5)
- Faculty of Engineering (Undergraduate only): IELTS (Academic): 6.0 overall (no individual band less than 5.5)
Some degree programmes have different English language requirements to the above so please check each individual course page for details.
Other English language tests may be acceptable and you can find these here:
If you have a qualification not listed, you should contact our Recruitment & International Office for advice.
University preparation programmes
International students who do not meet their main degree academic requirements have the option of studying undergraduate or postgraduate university preparation programmes at the University of Strathclyde International Study Centre. Upon successful completion, students will be able to progress to degree level study at Strathclyde.
Students can apply for one of following programmes:
- Undergraduate Foundation Programme for progression to the second year of a business and social sciences or engineering and sciences-related degree
- International Year Two for progression to the second/third year of the business degree
- Pre-Masters Programme for progression to a business and social sciences or engineering and sciences related Masters degree
Upon successful completion, students can progress to degree-level study at University of Strathclyde.
Improve your English language level
We offer a number of English Language Teaching courses which let you improve your English language level to meet your main degree language requirements without having to retake IELTS or another English language test.
So if you're an international student aiming to study on an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Strathclyde, and you need to improve your English language level to meet the language conditions of your degree offer, then take a look at our courses.