Tier 4 and Student visa holders Academic Suspension

You have been directed to this page because an Exam Board has made the decision to place you in Academic Suspension.    The following information will help you understand the next steps in relation to your University registration and protecting your UK immigration record.

What is Academic Suspension?

Academic Suspension means that you have failed to meet the academic standards for continued enrolment. (It is also possible to be suspended for other reasons that are not addressed here.)  Academic Suspension means that an exam board has made a formal decision to suspend your studies for the next academic session to give you an opportunity to successfully complete any outstanding modules, exams or coursework in order to proceed to the next year of your course.

If you are not sure why you have received this decision please refer to https://www.strath.ac.uk/exams/examboardsandresultsfaq/ in the first instance.

What should I do now?

Your Student Visa

Our Visa Compliance Team will contact you to let you know that they will make a report to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to let them know about your new academic status.  UKVI will take action to curtail (shorten) your visa - normally they will give you a new visa expiry date of 60 days after the date that the Visa Compliance Team made their report.


You must immediately cease all engagement in study. This includes attendance at classes, laboratories and tutorials.


You must immediately stop working if you have a job.

Leaving the UK

It is important that you make plans to leave the UK as soon as possible and before the end of the 60-day period. Remaining in the UK beyond this date could result in serious restrictions being placed on future visa applications to the UK.

Registration at the University

Students who are placed in Academic Suspension are required to pay a registration fee of £75.  It is important that you complete your registration as this will ensure you continue to have access to online services such as MyPlace during your period of suspension. Failure to complete online registration while in Voluntary or Academic suspension may lead to permanent withdrawal from your course.

When will I return to my studies?

Returning to the UK to take my resit exams

If you need to return to the UK to take your resit exams you can apply for a Visitor Visa to re-enter the UK. To make the Visitor Visa application, you must request a Visit Study letter directly from your academic department.

Returning to full-time study

If you successfully pass your exams, and an exam board decides you can proceed to the next year of your course, you will need a new CAS to make a Student Route application from your home country. 

For more information please see https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/internationalstudents/beforeyouarrive/visasimmigration/studentvisaguidance-intheuk/