Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Our Virtual Private Network (VPN) service enables you to access some protected on-campus resources from elsewhere.
Most University services are available through your web browser, so most users will not need this type of access to their work computer. You only need to use this service if you want to access a file or resource that you can only get from your own work computer.
January 2021 update: New VPN software available
The recommended client software to access the campus network via the VPN is the FortiClient package.
If you are using the University’s Managed Desktop Environment this will be made available automatically via the Software Centre.
To install the software on your personal computer, see the instructions below. Staff in academic departments should liaise with their faculty IT support teams.
Set up VPN on a mobile device
Set up a VPN on a desktop computer
Currently, to allow remote access:
- Your University PC needs to be pre-configured to permit remote connections.
- You will need to know the IP address of your University PC.
- You must install our Virtual Private Network (VPN) software on your home computer.
Step 1: Configure your University PC to permit remote connections
- Navigate to the Control Panel
- Select 'System'
- Select 'Remote Settings'
- Select 'Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)'
The VPN service permits a computer which is not located on the campus network to become virtually connected to the campus network for a session of work.
Software can be downloaded and installed via Pegasus.
Step 2: Install VPN software on the computer you wish to connect from (i.e. your home computer)
- Go to the FortiClient website and download the FortiClient VPN application.
- Download the profile file from https://resource.net.strath.ac.uk/vpn/FortiClientNov2020.conf
- Install the Forticlient package, and start the application (a blue shield “Forticlient” icon should appear on your desktop)
- Click the "padlock" icon to unlock, entering appropriate credentials. You will need to be a local administrator.
- Click the "gear wheel" to enter the settings menu, then "restore"
- Select the "FortiClientNov2020.conf" file that you downloaded in step 2.
Step 3: Start the VPN software
- Open the FortiClient application
- Select 'General Strath VPN' from the drop-down list
- Enter your DS username and password
Step 4: Open 'Remote Desktop Connection' on the computer you wish to connect from
- Go to Start
- Select 'All Programs'
- Select 'Accessories'
- Select 'Remote Desktop Connection'
- Enter the IP address of the device you want to connect to in the 'Computer' field
- Enter your DS username and password. You may need to enter 'ds' before your username
Please contact us for help and advice about setting up or troubleshooting your VPN.