Code List 2

Character 1 - Attendance status of student


Open learning

B Online (full-time)
C Postgraduate students in academic suspension, not in attendance, but expected to sit examinations (carried classes) during the session and charged the suspended student registration fee.
D Distance learning
E Student spending part of the year away from the University and part at the University, classified E for the entire year. A curriculum of 12 credits should be recorded, usually a mixture of Strathclyde and external study classes.
F Full-time student - a student, internal or external, who is following a course of study or research to which he/she is expected to devote the whole of his/her time (but see also Character 2, S ). Note that this character signifies attendance at Strathclyde for the whole year (see V below) but does not indicate that a student thus classified is eligible for, eg Access fund awards since the course as a whole may be funded at the other institution.
N Online (part-time)
P Part-time student - a student, internal or external, who is following a course of study or research to which he/she is not expected to devote the whole of his/her time (but see also Character 2, S )
R Student spending the entire year away from the University either as part of his/her course (Socrates, JYA) or to gain entry to a further course/year - Modern Languages, Architecture, Sandwich. Students in the first category - part of their course - will have a full curriculum of 12 credits recorded, in the second no curriculum will normally be recorded.
S Undergraduate student in academic suspension, not in attendance but expected to sit examinations (in carried classes) during the session, charged the suspended students registration fee.
postgraduate student in voluntary suspension.
T Part-time student - a student registered on a full-time course but is attending for an academic session as a part-time student (as an alternative to academic suspension).
V Student on a course or year of a course which is undertaken entirely at another institution and validated by the University.
X Undergraduate student in voluntary suspension, not in attendance and not expected to sit examinations during the session (including sabbatical office bearers of the Students' Association) but not yet completed his/her course.
Also postgraduate student who was full-time and has completed his/her minimum duration of study but has not yet completed the requirements for the award of a degree/diploma/certificate - ie writing up.
Y Postgraduate student who was open or distance learning and is writing up.
Z Postgraduate student who was part-time and is writing up.


Character 2 - Level of course/staff

P Postgraduate - a student doing research, or an instructional course, leading to a higher degree or diploma, or undertaking research or instruction from a higher degree even though this is not leading to an award.
S Staff - a member of staff of the University (as advised by Personnel Office in terms of regulation 7.2.11) who is enrolled as a postgraduate student, whether by instruction or research. A member of staff who is employed as a research assistant will have Character 1 as F . Any other member of staff will have Character 1 as P but note that staff on research degrees who are appointed under Ordinance 16 (as advised by Personnel Office) will have no minimum duration of study (expressed as 00, eg 109600). Technically, staff on instructional degrees who are Ordinance 16 have no minimum duration of study either, but to facilitate their management, and because it makes no practical difference since the course is fixed length, the appropriate minimum duration is normally recorded for all staff on instructional courses. Members of staff do not generally pay fees and use of the S classification will cause the computer systems to predict that no fee is payable - care should therefore be taken where the member of staff is to be charged fees (eg on a course in a self-funding unit).
U Undergraduate - a student taking a course leading to a first degree or to any qualification whose level is equivalent to or lower than a first degree or attending classes of a first degree even though this is not leading to an award. This includes students taking a second first degree (see Character 3, 5 ).


Character 3 - new/continuing/instructional/research

1 Continuing postgraduate student (research)
2 Continuing postgraduate student (instructional)
3 New postgraduate student (research)
4 New postgraduate student (instructional)
5 Graduate entrant - entrant to a first (undergraduate) degree course who already holds a degree of another institution or a Strathclyde degree in another subject (eg BA now LLB). Not to be used for a Strathclyde graduate going directly onto a second first degree in the same subject - BSc Architectural Studies to BArch - who will be continuing (0) or re-entrant (9) depending on the gap in study.
6 Transfer - entrant to first (undergraduate) degree course who is transferring from a degree course at another institution, before completion and without a gap before coming to Strathclyde, whether or not the same course is continued.
7 Normal entrant - entrant to first (undergraduate) degree course where this is the student's first entry to a degree course in the university system in the UK.
8 Repeat - an undergraduate student who is re-attending (whether full-time or part-time) a year of his/her course which he/she has previously attended for a whole year.
9 Re-entrant - an undergraduate who was previously a student at Strathclyde or another university whose record was terminated and is now re-entering the same or another course, including a student returning to upgrade a pass degree to Honours.
0 Normal undergraduate - continuing student who is not repeating, including a student who takes eg BA Arts year 1 (FU70) followed by BEd Primary year 1 (FU00) and one whose first year is at Bell (VU70) followed by second year at Strathclyde (FU00).


Character 4 - fee status (see code list 8 for guidance on fees classification)


home student for fees purposes (this includes Channel Islands and Isle of Man who nevertheless have a higher fee which has to be set manually)


RUK (Rest of UK) students for fees purposes - England


RUK (Rest of UK) students for fees purposes - Wales


RUK (Rest of UK) students for fees purposes - N Ireland


EU student for fees purposes (ie EU national who is resident in the EU). Note that while this may make no difference to the tuition fee charged, it is esssential that it is accurately recorded for the purposes of, eg Student Loans certification. 
5 overseas student on Band 1 course ("classroom"-based course) 
6 overseas student on course which is Band 1 for home students, higher for overseas students 


overseas student on Band 2 course ("lab"-based course)  


overseas student on clinical (currently Bioengineering) course