Centre for Applied High Resolution Spectroscopy (CAHRS)
CAHRS, within the Centre for Microsystems & Photonics, carries out fundamental and applied research into:
- tuneable diode laser spectroscopy (TDLS) in the near and mid infra-red
- TDL photo-acoustic spectroscopy (TDLPAS)
- intra-cavity laser spectroscopy and cavity ring down spectroscopy
We've made many significant advances in fundamental techniques within these fields and in applications to remote, non-invasive gas parameter measurements in harsh environments.
Who we work with
We work closely with industry to ensure knowledge transfer to society, economic benefit and impact. Since 2004, we've partnered with industry in the development of highly effective systems for gas parameter measurement in fuel cells, gas turbine engine exhaust plumes, flames and hydrogen peroxide sterilisation processes. Some of our industry partners include Rolls-Royce plc, Rolls-Royce Fuel Cell Systems Ltd, OptoSci Ltd and M2 Lasers.
- Fibre laser imaging of gas turbine exhaust species (FLITES)
- Miniaturised MEMS photoacoustic spectroscopy
- Laser absorption techniques for trace gas detection in flames
- Gas composition and measurement in solid oxide fuel cells
- Difference frequency generation of light in the 3-micron range
- High power raman fibre amplifiers
- Novel calibration-free techniques in TDLS