Facility for Innovation & Research in Structural Testing (FIRST)
The FIRST laboratory was established 2009. It was setup as an IERC for Non-Destructive Testing and Evaluation (NDT & E) research with support from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
We seek to improve technology transfer and promote rapid industrial uptake of our research. We work closely with our industrial and academic partners, especially the Research Centre in Non-Destructive Evaluation (RCNDE). State-of-the-art NDT & E imaging and positioning equipment is available in purpose built facilities.
- Automation & robotics
- New NDE scanning
- Positioning systems for manipulation of sensors
- Sensor technology and array systems
- NDE of microminiature structures & systems
- Magnetic NDE sensors & systems
Current collaborations & technology transfer activities
- Automated Scanning for the Inspection of Complex Components ASICC (NDE Research Association Ltd)
- AURA, Automated Ultrasonic Robotic Array (TSB, Industrial Collaborator)
- Acoustic Emission Integration with Integri-Tech (KTP IDEAS Engineering)
- Automated Robotic Inspection (TWI/ University of Wales)
- VIEWS (Innovate UK / ATI)
- MAPS Full Project (Innovate UK)