Guide to choosing classes
How many classes can I take?
It depends on the amount of credits that each class is worth. Your classes should amount to a total of 60 Strathclyde/30 ECTS credits per semester.
What level of classes can I take?
Usually you'll choose classes from levels one to three. This equates to 1st year to 3rd year at Strathclyde. Levels two and three classes usually require you to have done some previous study in the subject. Level four classes are not normally available to exchange students unless you have significant prior knowledge in the subject, and if there is sufficient space in the class.
Access to level four classes needs to be approved by the host department.
How to list your class choices in your online application
You should list all the classes you are interested in taking in your online application in order of preference. Around 50% of your classes should be from the same subject area/department. This will be your primary host department at Strathclyde during your study period.
You will receive feedback on the availability of these classes once you have applied and your application has been reviewed by your host department/s. This process can take up to 4 weeks. Although you are expected to stick with the classes which have been pre-approved in advance of your arrival, there is scope to make some changes if necessary when you reach Strathclyde during the first couple of weeks of classes beginning.
Where can I get details of available classes?
You can refer to the class catalogue for details of available classes. Some departments have developed tailored information for exchange students:
- Strathclyde Business School
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical and Process Engineering 2018-19
- Psychology - Guide to Choosing Psychology Classes - Level 4 Class List Only
- Modern Languages
- Sport and Physical Activity
- Social Policy - Social Policy Handbook 2019-2020
- Speech and Language Pathology - Speech and Language Pathology Student Exchange Class option 2020-21
- Government and Public Policy Handbooks - School of Goverment and Public Policy - Class List 2020-2021
- School of Education
- Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Science
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering - Nanyang Technology University Students Only -
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering -Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Class Syllabuses 2019-20
- Chemistry is only able to consider applications for two semesters/full academic year due to the year long structure of their classes.
- Computer Science has limited single semester classes available as many of them run over both semesters.
- Psychology is only able to host a limited number of exchange students. Applications will be considered as they are received.
- Students joining the Department of Architecture require to submit a design portfolio with samples of their work in advance of their study period. A portfolio should be emailed direct to the Exchange Adviser in Architecture (email@example.com)