Our experienced staff are here to support you and help you make the most of your time at Strathclyde but we’re sure you have some questions so take a look at our most asked…

Before you apply

You can apply now for accommodation for University courses starting in September 2024.  Applications opened on the 16th April 2024.


At the moment, in person room viewings are not possible but you can join us on a virtual visit: Virtual Visits 


Standard rooms are in shared 4, 6 or 8 bed flats with 1 kitchen and 1 or 2 shared bathrooms. 

Standard rooms with a wash hand basin in their bedrooms, share a bathroom and kitchen.

En-suite rooms have their own private bathroom and will share a kitchen.



A validation check is required before you can apply for accommodation. If you are struggling to activate your portal, in the first instance, please ensure the details you have entered are accurate and the email address you have entered is the same as the one you used to apply for University. If you are still unable to login please send us a screenshot and e-mail us and our team will be happy to assist.

Please note that the activation link in the email will only be valid for ONE HOUR, so please make sure you check your email right away and use the link within an hour.

If you do not receive an email after submitting the form, please take the following steps:

  • Firstly, check your spam or junk email folder to make sure the message hasn’t been sent there by mistake
  • Contact the Accommodation Services Team at for assistance.

When completing your application form, you are given the opportunity to tell us which room type you would prefer to live in:

  • standard room  
  • standard room with a wash hand basin  
  • standard room with en-suite  

You can list room types in order of preference. When we come to making you an offer we will try our best to place you in a hall with your preferred room type.

Take note: depending on demand, we may not be able to offer you your top preference, but we'll make an alternative offer as close to your top preference as possible.

If you have submitted an application then decide you would like to change some of the information given, please contact with your full name, date of birth or Registration number and the information you wish to change.

There are questions on our accommodation application  to best guide should you have any additional support need to highlight to us

At Strathclyde we give full support where possible to students with health concerns. It can feel difficult to discuss your health or welfare concerns, but if you give us the right information when you apply for accommodation we’ll be better equipped to help find accommodation that suits you.

We understand that disability is not always visible and related to physical impairments and our Disability and Wellbeing Services can also provide additional support. We have a number of adapted rooms and we encourage you to talk to Accommodation Services if you want us to take account of your special circumstances, please let us know as soon as possible

Medical conditions

Where possible we will consider any special need or requirement for a medical condition included on your application form. You may be asked to send us a statement from your doctor. All information is treated confidentially.


We understand that certain medical conditions/disabilities can have a big impact on day-to-day living, so some of our accommodation already have some adaptations to help you make the most of living in University accommodation. If you have adaptations or considerations in mind, let us know and we'll do our best to facilitate this

In the unlikely event that you are required to move rooms during the summer months, our team will be on hand to offer full support and advice.

Care experienced and estranged students (UK domicile)

If you are:

a care experienced student - If you have spent any time living in care as a looked after child, including: kinship care – living with a relative, looked after at home with the help of social work, local authority care, living in a residential unit, living with foster carers, living in a secure unit or adoption. 

an estranged student - you have experienced a permanent breakdown of relations between you and your immediate family where you have not had a communicative relationship for 12 months or more, and are studying without their support.

As part of our support, we offer 52 weeks accommodation and also waive the rental pre-payment.  Where possible, we will strive to ensure that our care experienced students will be placed in the same room during the duration of their time in our accommodation.  In the unlikely event that you are required to move rooms during the summer months, our team will be on hand to offer full support and advice.

When completing your accommodation application, you can request to live in a mixed or a single gender flat. If a single gender flat is particularly important to you for cultural reasons please let us know on your application. 


Once your academic record is updated to show you are fully registered as a student you will be able to access the accommodation portal address log-in to Strathclyde SSO using your student email address.  Before this change takes place students will get an email alerting them to the fact that their log-in details have changed to their University credentials. 

Arrival and Induction information

Our new arrivals shall be able to check in from the beginning of their contract and this will depend on securing an arrival appointment to collect their key.

All pre arrival information, including how to pay rent etc. will be available within the welcome induction, which will be compulsory to complete prior to arrival shall be sent out closer to your arrival date.

You MUST complete your welcome induction prior to your arrival, please note we will not be able to issue your key on check in day if you haven’t completed the welcome induction. Look out for an email from, this email will contain a link to the induction. This information will also be available on the Accommodation Portal.

Unfortunately, only the slots that appear on the booking system are available, if none are apparent for earlier times in the day, then these will be fully booked. Cancellations may occur, so we would suggest occasionally checking to see if any slots have become available. If you need assistance with booking a check in appointment, please email,

You can check in at Accommodation Services within the Lord Todd Building where you will receive your key. Please see our map Lord Todd - Map 

Additional parking

NCP Montrose Street

This map shows the location of the entrance to the car park which is on Montrose Street, below the McCance Building. 

To receive discounted rates you now must use the NCP Park Pass app.

Park Pass - Staff and Students

Staff and students may sign up for an NCP Park Pass card using the Saver ID code GVTR4X, which will cap the rate to £8.95 up to 24 hours. Details on applying and using the card can be viewed on the Park Pass App guide.

Visitors and contractors should use the Saver ID code L6PN4FX. The cost for this is capped at £9 for up to 24 hours.

Please register before using the car park and use the QR code for entry and exit to receive the discount, NCP will not honour the discount if you take a ticket.

City Parking - Duke Street

City Parking offers discounts for staff and students using the car park situated at the corner of High Street and Duke Street. They currently have a flat rate of £6 per day, charged automatically at the pay machine.

Glasgow International Airport

The Campus Village is about a 20 minute drive from Glasgow International Airport. There is a frequent bus service from the Airport which takes you to Buchanan Bus Station. The campus is then only a 10/15 minute walk along Cathedral Street from the bus station. It should cost approximately £25 in a taxi from the airport. 

Bus Station 

Buchanan Bus Station is a 10/15 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride to the Campus Village. 

Train Station 

Both Central and Queen Street Railway Stations are within a 15/20 minute walk of the Campus Village, or alternatively a short taxi journey of about 5 minutes.

Please have a look on our website map:  

  • choose the Directions option next the Campus Map  
  • you should be able to input your details in the Start Location 
  • then choose Destination as Lord Todd 
  • decide on which mode of transport 
  • then click on route and some suggestions will appear 

Yes, you are able to bring someone assist you to check in. Temporary access will be allowed on campus for vehicle access to unload luggage/belongings. Please note that there is a one way system in place and once you have unloaded your luggage then you will be asked to move on.

Due to the house-keeping and preparation required to set up our accommodation for new students, unfortunately, we are not able to accept any arrivals before the start of your occupancy agreement or store your belongings.

Students who are successful in being offered accommodation shall be able to check in from the beginning of their contract and this will depend on securing an arrival appointment. Students will be able to book an arrival appointment via the accommodation portal after they have completed their welcome induction. They will receive an email when the welcome induction is open. 

However, as we are based within Glasgow city centre, there are a number of temporary accommodation options within the city centre for those arriving early, some are listed:

The following websites offer booking for alternative accommodation.

Prior to your arrival, the options for paying rent will be available within the welcome induction.

You will be able to select instalments, termly or pay in full to pay your rent. Bank transfer payment information will also be published there.

Please note that if you select an option before arrival, you will not be able to change it until after check in.

You have 7 days to move into our Halls of Residence on campus from the start of your occupancy agreement.

If you are unable to arrive before the end of the 7th day then we require you to inform us. Please send an e-mail to with your expected arrival date and your reasoning for this.

If you have not been in touch with Accommodation Services to let us know that you are failing to take to take up occupation in terms of this Agreement within 7 days of the Commencement Date, the University shall be entitled to cancel this Agreement and retain the rent prepayment.

Please see Key Points in your Occupancy Agreement

Should the Occupier cancel this Agreement before the Commencement Date, the University will be entitled to retain the rent prepayment as a Cancellation Charge.

Please see Key Points in your Occupancy Agreement

We would encourage any student wishing to cancel their Occupancy Agreement to contact us either in person at reception or through e-mail to discuss the next steps.


You will find out your block, flat and room number upon arrival to collect your key, on the date/time that you have pre-booked with us to pick up your key.

In the UK, there are data privacy laws that protect personal information known as the General Data Protection Regulations so unfortunately, Accommodation Services are unable to share details about your flat mates.

Please be assured that our experienced Allocations Team have done their best to match you with others.

We encourage new flat mates to make each other feel at home and welcome them.

  • Introduce yourself
  • Start a conversation
  • Put the kettle on
  • Tell them about your favourite places on campus and around town (or better still, show them round)
  • Organise a social event together – games night, share a meal, visit the Student Union

The International Welcome Guides are published here and you can directly contact the International team with any queries

Pre-arrival guide

Arrivals checklist

Virtual Arrival Lounge


Please see our FAQs and what is included, including the discounted Uni Kit Out offer (where you can order items to be delivered to your room before you arrive - Enter STRATH10 at checkout for 10% off!).


Money Matters

No, we don't use a deposit system for our on campus accommodation. However, when you accept an offer of accommodation for on campus accommodation we ask for a rent prepayment to secure your place. This payment will be deducted from the first termly rent instalment or from your full total before your payments are worked out. 

You will only be able to pay the rent prepayment once an offer has been made to you. 


Rent prepayment amounts

Academic Classification

Contract Length

Rent pre-payment due

Undergraduate & full time exchange 2024

 39 weeks (273 days)


Engineering Academy or PGDE 2024

 43 weeks & 4 days (305 days)


Postgraduate Sept 2024

 51 weeks (357 days)


Postgraduate January 2025

 49 weeks & 1 day (344 days)


Semester 1 (exchange) Sept 2024

 14 weeks & 3 days (101 days)


Semester 2 (exchange) Jan 2025

 21 weeks & 4 days (151 days)


Full year 2024-2025

 52 weeks (365 days)


ELT Module 1-3 2024

 11 weeks & 5 days (82 days)


ELT Module 2-3 2024

  7 weeks & 5 days (54 days)


ELT Module 3 2024

3 weeks & 5 days (26 days)



Preparing your budget for the duration of your studies is probably the most important thing you can do before leaving home. Please check out the universities advice on student budget calculator. 

Living in Halls of Residence

Student Village Reception within the Lord Todd is open 24 hours a day.

Admin staff working from 0800 hours until 1800 hours (Monday to Friday) and 0800 hours until 1700 hours (Saturday and Sunday).

Outside of these hours one of our Night Porters or campus security will be on duty to offer support 24/7.

For our standard ensuite rooms we offer ¾ size beds and advise you to use double bed linen. We partner with UniKitOut which can get you 10% off any supplies you want to order prior to arrival. All you need to do is click on the following link and apply STRATH10 at check out, items will be delivered ahead of your arrival and our team will ensure they are safely delivered to your room ready for you: Uni Kit Out - University of Strathclyde

Bedroom sizes vary between residences but an average size will be between 10 to 12m2 for a standard room and between 13 to 14mfor a room with a private bathroom.

Electrical appliances which are brought into the Hall by students must be electrically safe and of sound. 

  • They should carry an ASTA/BEAB kite mark or an equivalent European safety conformity marking.
  • They should be either Portable Appliance Tested (PAT) or within warranty. 

Please also see our list of what to bring and what to leave at home 

Remember electrical equipment can be purchased from many UK high street and online retailers, including Unikitout (Use STRATH10 at checkout for 10% off)

If you are an international student with non-UK electrical equipment you should either:

  • Purchase electrical appliances from the UK when you arrive (Electrical equipment in the UK operate between 220-240 volts (V) and a frequency of 50 hertz (Hz) using a 3 pin plug.
  • Use a universal adaptor that meets British Standard BS5733 and BS1363. These must have a fuse in order to comply with our requirements.

Electrical safety advice

Students living in residence are covered by a block personal possessions insurance policy arranged by the University with Endsleigh Insurance Services

It is important all students confirm their cover to ensure you understand what is and isn’t covered. 

Visit confirm your cover to see:

  • What is and what isn’t covered
  • Key exclusions - where cover isn’t provided
  • Policy excess – the amount you pay when you make a claim
  • How to make claim
  • Personalise cover

You need to make sure the level of cover provided is adequate – you can arrange extra cover if you need to either via Endsleigh or another provider.

At the moment we do not allow any students on campus to own a pet, with the exception of Guide Dogs.

Part of the university experience is meeting people from different backgrounds, interests and cultures. Be flexible and be prepared to compromise – that way you are more likely to have a harmonious experience while you are sharing. Tips for getting along with flatmates 

Please see the rights and responsibilities of everyone who comes to stay in our halls of accommodation

Advice for residents on making a complaint

Wellbeing and support

Unfortunately we don't have any University accommodation that's suitable for families or couples. If you're coming to study with us and bringing with you your family or spouse/partner please look at our private accommodation information, also The Advice Hub will be on hand to help you find accommodation for the duration of your studies. 

The university offers range of support and advice across a range of services to help you get the most out of your time at Starthclyde - Student support and wellbeing

The strath union advice hub is a place to come to confidentially discuss their problems or concerns without fear of judgement or negative action being taken without their consent. We are able to represent students impartially at meetings, panels and hearings as appropriate.The easiest and quickest way to contact The Advice Hub is to email them at:

The International Student Support Team offers guidance and information to all registered international students, especially those that concern immigration and personal issues.

 Ask Alex’ service for trans, non-binary and gender diverse students and staff connects named contacts working across the University who can provide advice, assistance and support in a range of areas.

One of our very own Front of House members is a named contact in this network, so we have nearby support on offer.

Strath Union LGBT+ Student Society

Strath Union LGBT+ Liberation rep

Information for Ukrainian Nationals

You can apply for University accommodation if you are accepted onto a course with us. However, there will be a charge for the accommodation and there may be implications for your current accommodation arrangements.  You should consider whether this is the best option for you and is affordable. If you’re currently living with a host family under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme you should discuss your study plans with them and also seek further advice from Ukraine Advice Scotland.

We cannot advise on the documentation needed for arrival in the UK – please seek advice from Ukraine Advice Scotland

If you are living in Scotland under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme you will be able to apply to the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) for tuition fee and living costs support – this is not the same as a scholarship, but it is how most local students fund their studies.

You can check out any further scholarship opportunities here:

This will depend on where you are resident and your immigration status- please see our page for Ukrainian Nationals

Parents & supporters

It is an exciting experience starting University and applying for accommodation. We have dedicated and information page for Parents and Supporters to keep you in the know.

Parents and Supporters

Contact us

Should you wish to reach out to us, please contact us at

Please ensure you give us as much detail as possible for us to help answer your query.