The University of Strathclyde is now among the 20 top research intensive universities in the UK. Our research environment and research impact stands out from the crowd.
The Faculty of Engineering is a leading international centre for engineering research. Our researchers are at the forefront of solving some of the major problems facing society.
We’ve a wealth of international experts working together on research projects ranging from developing devices for heart surgery to powering the world with more efficient renewable energies.
Our research power
The University of Strathclyde is making significant progress in its research quality, according to a Government-led benchmarking exercise. The Research Excellence Framework (REF) measures the quality of research in higher education institutions and the latest results have shown that Strathclyde has major strengths in engineering, as well as science, business and the humanities.
Highlights for the Faculty of Engineering
- The Electronic & Electrical Engineering subject area was third in the UK and first in Scotland on power (GPA x FTE submitted)
- Biomedical Engineering research was fourth in the UK and first in Scotland on power rankings
- The joint research from Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering; Design, Manufacture & Engineering Management; Chemical & Process Engineering; and Naval Architecture, Ocean & Marine Engineering was rated fourth in the UK on research power
- Civil & Environmental Engineering's research was placed at eighth in the UK and first in Scotland on research power
- Seven of our eight Engineering departments are ranked in the top 10 in the UK on research power
The Faculty of Engineering, together with our students and researchers, benefit from multi-million pound investments by Research Councils, Government and companies such as Rolls Royce and British Energy.
Work with us
Much of our engineering research is done together with Industry and different organisations. Our engineering departments have worked to provide specific business solutions for many engineering sectors.