Humanities & Social Sciences Our research and expertise
Our research aims to improve and enrich the human experience by studying the systems, institutions, cultures and behaviours that shape people’s lives.
Our expertise includes:
- diagnosis & management of a wide range of health disorders
- health improvement in young & ageing populations
- policy formulation & implementation
- historical understanding of long-term changes in both health & health care
Children & young people
Our priority areas include:
- education & development
- health & well-being
- vulnerable children & young people
- rights, participation & citizenship
- experiences of childhood
Culture & society
We aim to advance our understanding of how key intellectual concepts such as gender, race, nationality, language, class and religion construct and shape our identities.
Journalism, media & communication
Our research in journalism, media & communication covers contemporary media practices and representations. We focus on four key areas:
- Political communications
- Social media and media
- Health, wellbeing and trauma
Public & social policy
Researchers in the School of Education, the School of Government & Public Policy and the School of Social Work & Social Policy provide new insights to policymakers. Our expertise in the areas of public and social policy covers a wide variety of topics, ranging from the history of health and social welfare to issues associated with race and ethnicity.
Our centres allow our staff to engage in a range of joint business and government initiatives.