Secondary school pupils sitting at desks looking at whiteboard

Probationary year

After your PGDE

After completing the PGDE most of our graduates go on to work as teachers across Scotland. On completion of the course you will have achieved the Standard for Provisional Registration set bt the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS). There are two options available in order to meet the standards for Full Registration depending on your personal circumstances and residency. 

Teacher Induction Scheme

The Teacher Induction Scheme (TIS) provides a guaranteed one-year training post in a local authority to all Scottish or EU students graduating from the Strathclyde PGDE. The GTCS, in partnership with the Scottish Government, is responsible for the administration of the scheme. 

The Teacher Induction Scheme allows probationer teachers to be considered for full registration within one school year (190 teaching days) and offers a number of benefits:

  • a maximum class contact time of 0.8 full-time equivalents (GTCS endorsed)
  • dedicated time set aside for Professional Learning
  • access to a teacher for support through the induction year

As part of the TIS, you can indicate in preference order the five local authority areas that you would be willing to work in for your induction year. You must remember that you could be allocated to any of these five areas including your fifth choice. 

Alternatively, if you are prepared to work anywhere in Scotland, tick the 'anywhere' box and you will receive an additional £6,000 (Primary) or £8,000 (Secondary) less tax and national insurance. 

Flexible Route

The Flexible Route is a way to complete probationary service for teachers who: 

  • have decided to opt out of the TIS
  • are not eligible to join the TIS
  • cannot commit to a full-time post
  • elect to complete their probationary year somewhere other than a Scottish state school
  • are registered in more than one subject and are looking to gain full registration in their second subject after gaining full registration in their first subject

Although there are specific elements of the probation process that must be completed by all probationers on the Flexible Route, not all probationers are able to complete their probation in a structured way. Probationers who follow the Flexible Route will often have different: 

  • amounts of teaching experience
  • lengths of probation service which they undertake
  • employment opportunities in their area
  • support networks available to them

Employment in the flexible route is not guaranteed. Probationer teachers must find employment themselves. Probation on the flexible route in 270 days unless in the same school in which it is 190 days. 

Teaching in the rest of the UK or abroad

The Strathclyde PGDE is an internationally recognised professional training course. The qualification is regulated by both the GTCS and the Scottish Government. Although most of our graduates go on to teach in Scottish state schools, obtaining this qualification opens up opportunities to teach throughout the UK or internationally. 


If you wish to teach in England you must apply for Qualified Teaching Status (QTS). If you have not completed your probationary year in Scotland you will be required to serve an induction period in an English school first. The application form takes approximately 45 minutes to complete, you will need copies of your qualifications, details of your PGDE qualification and your GTCS registration number if you have one. 

Northern Ireland

Teachers wishing to take up a post in a Northern Irish school are required to register with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI). In order to complete the application form you will need to provide evidence of GTCS provisional or full registration. 


The Strathclyde PGDE is recognised throughout the world. Over the years we have welcomed many Canadian students and we have gained specific accreditation from the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT). If you wish to teach outside of the UK after completing the Strathclyde PGDE we recommend checking the individual requirements of the relevant teaching body in that country.