Civil & Environmental Engineering Centre for Intelligent Infrastructure
The Centre for Intelligent Infrastructure is committed to transforming traditional structural engineering through cross-disciplinary research, recognising and transposing the recent radical innovations in material science, communication and sensor technology.
We use techniques from chemistry, computer science, electronic engineering, physics, biochemistry and management science to solve societal problems surrounding the safety and resilience of structures that support energy generation, waste storage, transport and urban infrastructure.
We combine fundamental research with industrial engagement, working across sectors such as construction, transportation, oil and gas, heritage buildings, renewables and nuclear, in collaboration with UK and EU government agencies and national laboratories. Our research outputs include industrial patents and a spin-out company.
Our expertise includes:
- intelligent infrastructure & artificial intelligence
- sensors & automation
- sustainable construction materials
- safety, resilience & economic assessment
- computational modelling
Our research areas
Intelligent infrastructure systems
Within this research area, we look at:
- machine learning methods for structural health monitoring
- time-series analysis for predictive maintenance
- whole-life asset management
- transport modelling and active travel
- urban form and societal influence on travel behaviour
- future cities development
- seismic assessment and resilience
- creative structural design and teaching
We're working on:
- fibre-optic and MEMs sensors for civil monitoring
- wireless and optical interrogation systems
- smart cement and photonic crystal skin sensors
- robotic and automated maintenance
- design of sensor installation campaigns
- low-carbon cements
- chemo-mechanics and concrete deterioration pathways
- waste material usage
- nanotechnology and bacterial mediation
- fire resistance of steel
- smart inflatable structures
- water transport in composite building materials
- 3D characterisation and in operando microstructural analysis
Meet the team
Head of Centre
Edoardo specialises in computational science and engineering technologies.
Andrea's expertise lies in structural materials, chemo-mechanics of deteriorations and conservation.
Enrico's interests include infrastructure, vulnerability and structural modelling.