By joining us here at Strathclyde, you can become part of the number one physics department for research in the UK.
Based on the REF 2014 GPA Scores, Times Higher Education ranked Strathclyde as number one in the UK for physics research - ahead of Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College.
We're based in the centre of Glasgow, the largest and liveliest city in Scotland, a country of outstanding scientific traditions and stunning natural beauty.
Glasgow is a proud and vibrant city and one of the most welcoming in the world. It's a great city to live in, with great places to eat out, and world-class music, museums, culture and sport to enjoy. Glasgow, close to the beautiful landscape of Scotland’s west coast and with the Highlands and Islands less than an hour away, offers fantastic opportunities to explore the great outdoors.
Physics students at Strathclyde enjoy friendly teaching, an excellent library and great sport and recreation facilities. Also, if English isn't your first language, you can boost your language skills while you're here.
We have students and staff in our department from more than 20 countries, and research partnerships across the globe. We also have many links to business and industry, applying physics in diverse areas, from healthcare to 21st century communications.
What you'll learn
Our teaching is built on our cutting-edge research, which will prepare you for a future career that may well go beyond the traditional boundaries of physics. Our graduates have an excellent record in finding prestigious, well-paid and interesting jobs.
You can choose from three types of degree, depending on your qualifications:
- Undergraduate: BSc or MPhys for students without a recognised university degree who want to study in Scotland (two to five years depending on previous studies)
- Postgraduate Taught: PgDip or MSc for students with a recognised university degree in physics or a related science or engineering subject who want to improve their skills and job prospects, specialising in an advanced topic and studying in Scotland (one year)
- Postgraduate Research: PhD, MPhil, MRes or EngD for students with a recognised university degree who want to become researchers in academia or industry (typically one year for MPhil and MRes or three-four years for PhD or EngD)
Whichever level you choose to study with us, a physics degree from the University of Strathclyde is an outstanding qualification and provides many excellent opportunities to further your career.
Contact us with any questions you have and we’ll be happy to help.
Our global partners
- Technische Universität Berlin
- Université Claude Bernard, Lyon
- Università degli Studi di Milano
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
- Université Nice Sophia Antipolis
- Czech Technical University in Prague
- Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal
- Capital Normal University, Beijing
- Donghua University, Shanghai
- East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai
- Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing
- Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing
- Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan
Universities offering PhDs with shared supervision
- Princess Nora Bint Abdul Rahman University, Saudi Arabia
- Macquarie University, Sydney