You require a first-class or upper second-class UK Honours degree, or overseas equivalent, from a recognised academic institution, in a social science or related discipline, and/or a relevant Masters degree with Distinction.
If English isn't your first language, you'll need to have an IELTS score of 6.5. If English is your first language, or your first degree was communicated in English, there is no special requirement.
Before you apply
Before you start your online application we ask that you email email@example.com to let us know of your interest.
Get in touch with a potential supervisor early in the process, preferably as soon as you've put together a draft proposal. You can find some information about our supervisors and their research interests under the 'Supervisors' tab.
You'll need to send:
- a covering letter outlining your areas of interest and how they will contribute to our current research interests
- a research proposal of around 1,000 words; please use our Postgraduate Research Proposal Outline and attach this with your application
- a current CV
- an indication of your funding arrangements or whether you're looking for a scholarship
If we can find a supervisor for you to work with, then we'll ask you to complete our online application.
Writing your research proposal
Read our guidance on how to write your research proposal.
Getting a reference
Read our help on how to choose references and what the referees need to supply.
During the application you'll be asked for the following:
- your full contact details
- transcripts and certificates of all degrees, translated into English where necessary
- proof of English language proficiency if English isn't your first language
- two references, one of which must be academic
- funding or scholarship information
By filling these details out as fully as possible, you'll avoid any delay to your application being processed by the University.
Accepting an offer
When you've accepted our offer, we'll need you to fulfil any academic, administrative or financial conditions that we ask.
UK or EU students
If you're applying as a UK or EU student, you'll then be issued with your registration documentation.